Friday, February 12, 2010

Metrolina Greenhouse


Today I went to the Metrolina Greenhouses. I heard they were the most advanced and most productive greenhouses in America. Quite honestly I didn't think that before today.

As soon as you drive into, yes INTO the greenhouse, you feel like you're somewhere you're not supposed to be. It has a very "Area 51" feeling to it just as you drive in. After making my way to the front desk I was set up to tour with Chris Scott. Chris was like me in a sense we both like anything to do with technology. After driving around on the electric buggy we made a few stops to admire the automations installed in the building. For instance, the irrigation systems travel from one end to another on pulleys. This reduces the cost of piping and raises the effectiveness.

This is just one example. Other examples include AI for the roofing as well as the heating/cooling systems.

Everyone at the greenhouse was more than helpful. I even got to eat lunch with the supervisors while talking about my project. Another example of hospitality of the greenhouse is the fact I was able to take a visit to the owner's personal greenhouse. They told me this occaison is rare so I made sure to take as many pictures I could. While looking at the tomatoes in the owner's personal greenhouse, the attendee of the tomatoes told me to pick one off the vine to try it.

This was the most delicious tomato I have ever tasted. Nectar and ambrosia is the word I believe.

After sinking my teeth into the amazing tomato. I was told behind the door there's an experimental hydroponic rig. Of course I asked if I could see it and when I did my jaw never came off the floor. Lettuce and cucumbers grown what looked like almost magically.

Needless to say this vist was more than helpful and was hecka fun. This opened my eyes to new possibilities and even some flaws I didn't think of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment